Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Look, It's Internet Grammar! Run Away!

Post two of the day and I think I'm going to talk about grammar. It's been pointed out to me that I make a lot of mistakes. I'll be honest, I know my grammar has been pretty bad in these last few posts. :\ You may not believe this but I am usually a pretty big stickler for the grammar. Many of these posts have made me cringe.

Why do I post them then? Well, that, my friend, is a very good question. To be completely honest, I have no idea. Who knows how many people see my horrible grammar on a daily basis (Well, around 20 depending on if they read it or not. At least that's what my pageview counter tells me. Yes, I'm watching you watch me... 0_o)? Given that it's on the internet, it's available for any body to see. So why am I not more careful? Well, I don't know you people. Actually, I know at least one (Thanks for reading my blog, Aunt Sarah!). You other viewers don't comment on my blog so how do I even know if you are even reading it?

...wait, what if my appalling grammar has pushed you non-commenting viewers away? Oh dear, I hadn't thought about it that way. Okay. Okay! Here's the deal my dear readers, from now on I shall keep my grammar in check. No more crazy bad grammar. I promise. Maybe this will help more people follow my blog (hint hint). :)

It does make you wonder why people are so willing to put bad grammar on the internet givenhow many could see it. My guess is that it has something to do with instant gratification society in regards to the internet. Want an answer to that question? Crack open Google. You could have your answer in seconds. You use to have to go to a library and crack open a book. I'm not complaining about the endless amounts of information that's just at our fingertips but you have to admit it only fuels our desire to have things done now. Fast internet, fast-forward through commercials, etc. We live in a fast paced society so grammar is bound to take a hit. Why spell out the whole word when you can cut "before" down to "b4" and "okay" to "k?" Spelling quickly moves to: "Who needs that comma? They understand what I'm saying." And there goes grammar. >_<

Example where commas are important: Let's eat grandma.           

Seriously, commas save lives. So long live grammar!

All right, I'm off my soap box now. :) Sorry, I have an English minor and you gotta deal with it. I'm going to add a link to a really funny blogger who writes about internet grammar. In the post, she talks about the "alot." It is pretty funny and all her idea. Not mine. I just find her ideas funny. Then again, I'm a nerd. And I'm proud of it!

Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better than You at Everything

Happy readings!

1 comment:

  1. It's terrible, but I hadn't noticed your bad grammar - so I'm probably guilty too!

    ReplyDelete