Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy Eleventy-Nineth Birthday!

Today is J.R.R. Tolkien's eleventy-nineth birthday! For those of you who have been living under a literary rock, he wrote The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and several other novels. I love him! As you've probably already noticed from previous posts. I really just think he's brilliant! He wrote such wonderful stories! I've read The Lord of the Rings 3 times and I'm planning on a fourth this year! While I've only read The Hobbit once (weird, I know) I plan on fixing that this year by rereading it as well. I'd original thought I'd celebrate Tolkien's birthday by marathoning all three movies plus a cartoon version of The Hobbit I own. Instead I've decided to read The Hobbit. Much more productive and enjoyable! Nothing against Peter Jackson and others, I just feel that reading Tolkien is a better way to celebrate than watching someone else's interpretation of his work.

All right, for our next order of business! Let's see how I did on last week's list!

1. Finish Part 2 of Anna Karenia - Done! (and started the 3rd part! woot!)
2. Read Chapter 1 of The Hobbit - Did!
3. Sew 5 squares - Accomplished amazingly enough!

So I owned that list! Yeah! I like this feeling! Makes you feel good knowing you accomplished something! : ) Although, the squares gave me some trouble, stupid sewing machine. Might have to wait a little bit before I continue with that one. I said some not so nice things to my sewing machine. In my defense, it tried to eat my fingers a few times. It apparently only has two speeds: all or nothing. I think I'll just let us both cool off for a week. Maybe pick it up again next week or later this week. Just don't want to commit to it. Maybe my sewing machine knows when I want to get something done and is trying to thwart me. Hm...I'm really not a conspiracy theorist at all. : )

Okay for this week, here's the list:

1. Read The Hobbit all day Monday (minus grocery run) to celebrate Tolkien's birthday!!!
2. Finish Part 3 of Anna Karenia
3. Read a quarter of Njal's Saga
4. Write for novel (at least 1 hour)

So we'll see how that goes. Number 4 is probably going to bust me this week but I felt like I had to include something about writing since it's on my resolutions list. Can't honestly wait until the end of the year to start on that one. Well, I could... but I'm not going to procrastinate. : ) Yeah!  I should probably try to finish Njal's Saga since I borrowed it from a friend and I need to give it back but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. Besides, I like goals I can accomplish. This seem like they could be accomplished.

So any big plans this week reading wise?

Until next time, happy readings!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, girl! Try blowing some compressed air or WD-40 into your foot pedal for the sewing machine - it may be dusty or gunky in there, causing it to be "all or nothing"! You might try naming your sewing machine, too - it gives you something to call it besides 4- or 5-letter names!

    ReplyDelete