Thursday, January 27, 2011

For those of you...

So I realize that some people aren’t quite as willing as I am to pick up an 800 some odd paged book that is heavy with Russian culture on a whim. This is why I’ve included some links to some movies on imdb.com where you can find out more about them and maybe find it on Netflix or whatever movie company you use. I haven’t seen any of these movies. I’m probably going to look into them when I get the time to do so, but I thought they might peak your interest in Anna Karenina. Maybe enough to go read it and see how much more amazing it is! Of course I do realize if these versions are horrible, then you’ll question my sanity. That’s why I’ll probably do a follow-up post about these movies that I have offered for you to watch.  So keep reading, one day I might be defending my sanity. : )

Disclaimer : all pictures belong to IMDB.com as you will see if you follow the links.

P.S. I picked most of these because of the actors who are in them. Thus, my reasoning. : ) Enjoy!

The following link is to the mini-series of Anna Karenina done in 2000. I haven’t seen it but I saw that Mark Strong was in it! I love him. For those of you who don’t know who he is, he played Mr. Knightly in the verison of Emma with Kate Beckensale and he played Septimus in Stardust. For those of you more mainstream movie watchers, he played Lord Blackwood in Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downing Jr.  If you don’t know who he is, you should get acquainted. He’s brilliant! And I love him. : )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246353/

Here’s a link to see the 1958 version of Anna Karenina with Vivian Leigh as Anna. She did such a brilliant job as Scarlett O'Hara. I feel she could definitely pull of Anna. Only 138 minutes though. Probably not enough time to do the book justice. Although, what is?


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040098/

The following link leads to the movie advertised on the cover of the book I read. This version has Christopher Reeve (yes, Superman!) as Vronsky. Pretty good role for him if I do say so myself. Reminds me of Remains of the Day. Don’t see that movie if you can help it! Horrible! But Reeve’s character in the movie makes me think he’d play a pretty good Vronsky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088726/

And finally, here is the 1997 version. It’s only 108 minutes long (poor Tolstoy), but I offer it because I looked at the cast list. It has Sean Bean (that’s Boromir, Lord of the Ring’s fans) as Vronsky. A very good role for him I think. It also has Alfred Molina as Levin! I like Molina. I’d like to see him as Levin. I honestly find it a little difficult to see. Not that I don’t think he can pull it off. I just want to see him do it. I might have to go check this one out myself.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118623/

Hopefully these are good movies. Please let me know what you think!

Until next time, Happy Readings! (or Movie Watching!)
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment