Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Why Yes that Turtle is Flying Through Space

If you don't know who this man is on sight, then get off my blog now! OR stay and learn about the awesome author Sir Terry Pratchett! (Why yes, he was indeed awesome enough to be knighted. Look it up.)

I figured since I shared a little bit about Terry Pratchett yesterday then it wouldn’t hurt to continue today. A long long time ago—more like last year—I was introduced to a wondrous author when I came across a book called:



Actually it was two authors but I’m gushing over Terry Pratchett right now. Hold on, Gaiman. I promise I’ll gush over you soon. I picked up this book at 2nd & Charles in May 2011. It was the same weekend that that man predicted the world would end. Okay. You have to read the back of the book to understand why I just had to read it that weekend.


"There is a distinct hint of Armageddon in the air. According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (recorded, thankfully, in 1655, before she blew up her entire village and all its inhabitants, who had gathered to watch her burn), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse are revving up their mighty hogs and hitting the road, and the world's last two remaining witch-finders are getting ready to fight the good fight, armed with awkwardly antiquated instructions and stick pins. Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. . . . Right. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan.
 
Except that a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon -- each of whom has lived among Earth's mortals for many millennia and has grown rather fond of the lifestyle -- are not particularly looking forward to the coming Rapture. If Crowley and Aziraphale are going to stop it from happening, they've got to find and kill the Antichrist (which is a shame, as he's a really nice kid). There's just one glitch: someone seems to have misplaced him. . . ." - back cover description


Perfect right? I was actually impressed with the use of Biblical ideas. I mean, I think a lot of people might find it sacrilegious but I didn’t. Maybe I should have but honestly it was fiction. I didn’t take it so much as a mockery of the end of times but someone’s idea of how the world was going to end implementing some Biblical ideas. It is fiction. Yeah, I’m seriously weird and I know it. Anyway, let us continue with Good Omens as a work of fiction (which it is). This book is hilarious! The concept is amazing and the humor is perfect! It was a great read and I honestly don’t remember laughing so hard in my life. (Yeah I almost put “laugh” instead of “life” that should tell you how much I enjoyed the read.) It’s definitely worth the read however if you aren’t comfortable with the humorous view employing ideas from Revelation then don’t read it. However, if you can view it as a work of fiction, you’ll find it to be probably one of the funniest books you’ve ever read.  On a side note, there has been talk of a movie and a friend sent me a teaser poster. Not the real actors necessarily but I think these two would make a great Aziraphale and Crowley.


Good Omens was my gateway book to Pratchett and Gaiman. You might be wondering why I’m using terminology that suggests their books are drugs well the only explanation is: because they are. Yes, it’s a very serious addiction. Lol. Honestly, they’re such great reads that once you finished one you’re going to want to pick up another one. That stands for both Pratchett and Gaiman, but continuing with Pratchett.

Pratchett is best known for his Discworld series. Discworld is a land that resides on a huge disc. The disc is held up on the back of four elephants which stand on the back of a huge sea turtle named A’tuin who is flying through space toward an unknown destination.


I’ve currently read seven of the Discworld books and there are at least 36 books total. Possibly more by now. Terry Pratchett is the fantasy version of Douglas Adams. He takes everything you’re familiar with about fantasy books and he satirizes them.  It is fantastic and extremely funny.  Many of the books focus on specific characters. The Rincewind books focus on a wizard who only knows one spell. Death plays a major role in several of the novels. There are also books about the Witches, and then there is my favorite, the City Watch novels. I haven’t read the Witches novels but the City Watch and Rincewind books are great! Death is one of my favorite characters as well. He has many humorous experiences. One of my favorites is when he tries to get drunk. Despite the fact that it’s impossible for him to get drunk he still tries. It’s pretty funny.

Anyway, Discworld novels should definitely be given a shot! Especially if you are looking for a hilarious read. And given how many times I’ve used the term “funny” in this post you know it has to be funny.  Lol.

So that’s it for this post, I might take up specific Terry Pratchett books later but for now, that’s it!

Until next time, happy readings!

P.S. None of these pictures are mine. I found them on Google.

1 comment:

  1. OK, OK, I may just have to give Sir Terry a try..... can I get him free on Kindle? Off to check....

    ReplyDelete