Friday, June 22, 2012

How I Met "How I Met Your Mother"


I absolutely love this show! I came across it during a free month trial of Netflix. First of all, let me tell you that if you're a got-to-get-my-money's-worth type of girl like me then a free month trial of Netflix is DANGEROUS. All I did last month was watch a lot, and I mean, A LOT, of TV shows and movies. Every time I turned on my computer I kept thinking: "I need to watch as much as I can before my free month is up." So much watching! I watched "Sherlock" for the first time during that month, but that was yesterday's topic. Today is for "How I Met Your Mother."

If you're at all familiar with Netflix, you know you can rate TV shows and movies. Doing so gives the people at Netflix some idea into what you like. Well, they gave "How I Met Your Mother" a 4.9 out of 5 star rating for me. That was pretty high for me so I thought "Why not? I like Neil Patrick Harris." Worst mistake ever. lol. Not really. Well, yes in the sense of not getting anything done for a long time but no in the sense that I was highly entertained. It's a great show and I was hooked after one episode. I made it through SIX seasons in less than two weeks. And that was all that was on Netflix.


Now I guess I should give you a synopsis of the plot. It’s about a guy, Ted Mosby, who is telling his kids (pictured above) how he met their mother. No, really. That’s what it’s about. Lol. Why is it seven seasons long you may ask? Well, because it took him seven years to meet their mother. Actually eight. It’s rumored that Ted meets the mother at the end of season 8 which is next season. Yeah I’ve done some research. Label me a dork. Like I haven’t heard that before. Anyway, Ted is the main character. He’s an architect searching for his true love just like everyone else in the world right? Or most everyone else. Other main characters include Marshall and Lily, Ted’s best friends from college who are dating, Barney Stinson, and Robin. Ted meets Robin on the first episode and from there the story continues into the events that led to Ted meeting the mother. Every now and then, he tells the audience little tips into who the mother is. For instance, at one point, he dated her roommate. There are several hints throughout the show. The biggest one occurred at the end of the 5th season. I’ve heard some pretty good theories into who the mother is and I know who I think it is but I’m getting ahead of myself since you might not have seen the show.

What I love about the show is that it can take eight years to get to the whole point of it all but somehow it’s still entertaining. The intricate plotline is great. The producers and writers are very serious about consistency which I find awesome. In the end though, I know we’re going to see how everything ties together and why Ted had to include meeting Robin and everything from that point on to fully explain how he met the kids’ mother. In the mean time, we get some pretty hilarious stories.

Another reason I love the show is because of the characters. Ted Mosby is such an Everyman character. I’ve seen so many of my friends who love this show compare themselves to Ted and in a way, I think we all can identify with him on some level. I’m impressed with any show that can do that nowadays. Also, I find it funny that the actor who voices Ted-as-Dad is the dad from “Full House.”

What a dork! :)

 Lily and Marshall pull off a great couple! They also call for a bunch of laughs.


Robin is also great in her own Canadian right. The fact that she is Canadian becomes the butt of many jokes throughout the show.


But the character that I find awesome is Barney Stinson.


He is played by Neil Patrick Harris (what’s not to love right?). What I find so amazing about Barney is that before I did a marathon run through the show I’d seen a few episodes here and there. Barney always came across to me as this huge player, but after watching the show you realize what a huge nerd he actually is. This of course causes for a lot of laughter and it becomes rather impressive that he can pick up girls at all.


With such humorous characters, this show definitely needs to be given a shot. In fact, the intricate, humorous storyline mixed with great characters calls for “How I Met Your Mother” to be a truly, legen-WAIT FOR IT- dary show!

Happy readings, my friends!

P.S. All pictures are again gotten from Google Images and are not mine.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! I do love this show.... and I think Barney is my guilty pleasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post guys! There are hardly few TV shows that I like watching, and this is one of them. I even watch How I Met Your Mother Online in my busy days.

    ReplyDelete