Tuesday, June 26, 2012

White Coat Anxiety

I'll be attending graduate school in the fall for mathematics. While I am very excited, there are some down points and I'm about to let you in on a little secret about graduate school. There's a punishment for those who desire a higher education and it looks like this!




AHHHHHH! Look at that guy all smiling and stuff. There's a sadistic glint to that eye I tell you... Okay. Maybe I'm exaggerating (no not really), but to be completely honest I really don't like going to the doctor. I'm not exactly sure why either. I don't mind getting shots but doctor's offices just make me nervous. All right, I admit it. Doctor's visits are probably only seen as a punishment by me. But honestly, colleges always need you to go to the doctor and I find that torturous. Torture! Oh and FYI, I got that picture from Google Images. This is nothing against the pictured doctor or any doctor. I felt the image  encompassed the typical "doctor" persona that I needed to convey my point. I'm sure he's a wonderful doctor.

But back to my fear, if you haven't figured it out already, I had to go to the doctor today. Yes. I had to undergo torture. Let me tell you that sitting in a waiting room for over an hour when your anxiety levels walking into the building, nay further back than that: getting into the car to drive to the doctor's, have already reached monumental proportions, waiting an hour is enough to nearly give you a heart attack. Ugh, and the waiting back in the room for over an hour as nurses and the doctor come and go and the sudden desire to give you a bazillion shots that aren't necessary for the purposes of having your graduate student health evaluation form filled out, I've just got one word: ARGH! The only good thing to come from that last part was that I got so angry at being kept waiting for so long that I forgot my anxiety over being in the doctor's office in the first place. Ridiculous!

That's over now thankfully and I get to rant about it in my post for all you lovely readers to read. My awesome sister who went with me bought me a peach milkshake afterwards to make me fill better. :) Best sister ever! Unfortunately, I have to go back with her when she gets her physical for school done. I can't even handle that. Doctor's offices freak me out! But she did promise me another milkshake and trust me I'm going to hold her to it!

Until next time, happy readings!

P.S. My fear and dislike of doctors is only directed toward the profession and not the individual people. I'm sure they are very nice people despite their scary career choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment